IHPME Program Directors Functions & Roles
Terms of Reference
Program Directors are accountable for the achievement of IHPME’s academic program goals – to develop leaders in their respective research or professional disciplines (Health Services Research, Clinical Epidemiology and Health Care Research, Quality Improvement and Patient Safety, Health Technology Assessment and Management, Health Administration, and Health Informatics). They are responsible for ensuring their programs deliver excellent education and student experiences, with student outcomes that match the stated goals of their programs. A commitment to continuous educational review and innovation, and mentoring of program instructors, are related goals. Program Directors must also maintain a positive budget for their program.
To support these goals, Program Directors are tasked with the following activities:
- Program Curriculum Development and Delivery
- In consultation with Program Advisory Committees, develop and/or refine the program’s curriculum theory and pedagogical models
- Ensure program consistency, comprehension and compliance with IHPME, SGS, UofT curriculum policies and procedures as well as emerging or established best practices within the discipline
- Liaise with and coordinate all program faculty and sessional instructors (not including guest lecturers)
- Identify and recruit faculty members to teach in the program
- Advise faculty members on course development, content and/or delivery as required
- Review student evaluations and take corrective action as appropriate
- Develop, coordinate and/or deliver extra-curricular workshops and events as required for faculty members and students.
- Conduct ongoing curriculum monitoring and evaluation:
- Review course evaluations and respond to issues
- Identify curriculum gaps, redundancies, obsolescence or overlaps based on best practices.
- Coordinate and participate in ongoing professional development in curricula and pedagogical practices and technologies
- Program Administration
- Develop and/or participate in program marketing, promotion and student recruitment activities as appropriate (conferences, career fairs, information sessions, etc.)
- Respond to prospective applicant enquiries throughout the year
- Coordinate and participate in the application and admission process with the Graduate Coordinator, Graduate Assistant, and Program Assistant
- Where applicable (HSR & CEHCR), contribute to the preparation of funding packages
- Where applicable (HSR & CEHCR), monitor composition of thesis committees
- Where applicable (HSR & CEHCR), coordinate the chairing of MSc thesis defences and PhD Proposal Defences
- Manage student expectations and program requirements:
- Manage student orientation content and activities
- Undertake intake, course or program planning with students
- Monitor and assess student progress, performance and development
- Respond to current student concerns (difficulties, leaves, and course or program coordination) by providing assessment, guidance, mentoring, mediation, referral, and advocacy as required.
- Respond to teaching or supervising faculty concerns (resources, stipend contracts, space, etc.)
- Use and apply IHPME and UofT information management technology
- Coordinate and liaise with Graduate Office and other administrative staff.
- Monitor, process and coordinate program budget and expenditures to ensure a positive margin
- Participate in the hiring of program teaching staff
- Identify and resolve budgetary and teaching load issues in consultation with the Institute Director and Graduate Coordinator
- Program Liaison within IHPME and broader community
- Develop, prepare and maintain all program documentation as required for administrative reviews, accreditation, or evaluation purposes ensuring compliance with UofT privacy and confidentiality policies and procedures
- Participate in the development and maintenance of IHPME information management initiatives
- Participate in the development and ongoing implementation of IHPME communication activities with discipline community of practice, program and IHPME community partners and/or sponsors.
- Coordinate and chair internal and external program advisory committee
- For HSR, act as coordinator for HSR PAS Leads
- Participate in monthly IHPME Executive, Faculty and Curriculum Committees
- Participate in IHPME working groups and committees as required
- In coordination and consultation with the Graduate Coordinator, liaison with SGS, lead Faculty (FoM, DLSPH) or other UofT academic units as required
- Participate in IHPME alumni events and activities
Participate in program discipline or professional practice community activities (papers, conferences, working groups, committees, etc.) as required.